Saturday, January 4, 2014

Getting to Know Me

Hello.  Let me introduce myself.  My name is Ashlee.  I have struggled with weight for most of my adult life.  I noticed that the weight really started packing on after I quit smoking in November of 2008.  Once I lost one "oral fixation" I turned to another and it was food.  I mindlessly became a snacking machine and didn't realize how much weight I was gaining.  In 2010, I gave birth to my beautiful daughter.  Immediately after having her, I was able to drop the weight I had gained with her but shortly after I was diagnosed with postpartum depression.  Once I started taking my anti-depressants, I noticed once again that my weight started increasing.  Most recently I have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  One of the main side effects of this condition is weight gain.

Now, let me say, I have tried just about every diet and weight loss gimmick you could think of.  If the weight loss didn't happen as quickly as I would like, I would simply give up and go back to my old ways.  Even though I know that it is best to lose 1-2 pounds a week, I would get so frustrated if I didn't lose 10 pounds in 1 day.  I would say my biggest struggle in the weight loss process is the diet.  Generally, I don't mind exercising.  I usually able to find a workout that I like but that doesn't do anything if I can't get my eating under control.

How did I decide to get the Lap-Band?  One night (in August 2013) I was watching 'Say Yes to the Dress' and one of the girls on the episode I was watching had lost 100 pounds after she got the Lap-Band.  I talked to my husband and he was very supportive and said that if I felt it was something I needed to do that he would be there for me 100%.  I was intrigued, so I got on the internet and did some research.  After learning more about it I decided that it was something I wanted to get more information on.  

I found the top Lap-Band surgeon in my state and got in touch with them.  They let me know what I would need to do in order to get the procedure authorized through my insurance.  Like most insurance companies, my insurance provider required 6 months of supervised weight loss, a psychiatric evaluation, a nutritional evaluation, and a physical from my doctor.  Luckily, I already had 6 months of supervised weight loss so I didn't take long to get everything in order.  I sent my paperwork to my doctor and they sent it to my insurance.  Within in a week, my doctors office called me and let me know that my insurance DENIED my request to have the surgery covered.  I was devastated!  Luckily, my doctor was aware of (and had worked with) a company that specializes in insurance appeals.  This company compiled a case for me and sent everything to my insurance company.  It took a while, but on December 6th, my doctors office called and let me know that I was APPROVED!!!  It was the best feeling ever!  A short 10 days later, on the 16th, I had my surgery.

Ok, now that you know a little bit about me, let's move on to my pre-surgery stats and pictures!

Beginning weight - 198.6

Measurements:

Upper Chest --- 44 inches
Bust --- 47 inches
Midriff --- 41 inches
Upper Arms --- 14 1/2 inches
Waist --- 40 1/2 inches
Upper Hip --- 46 inches
Lower Hip --- 48 inches
Upper Thighs ---28 1/2 inches
Mid Thighs --- 28 inches
Calves --- 16 inches


No comments:

Post a Comment